Sunday, 13 September 2009

Freedom Weekender !!

This weekend has been Hull's freedom festival celebrating William Wilberforce who abolished Slavery combined with love music hate racism festival. And the start of the round the world clipper race which starts from Hull.
I must say I was completely impressed with the event which started off on Friday night with a group of French artist in the old town fruit market are of Hull - beautiful fire sculptures and jazz and art galleries opened up within broken down old buildings.
Fantastic local and National bands too.
The harbour area looked breath taking!! I really had to keep reminding myself I was actually in Hull and not some fabulous cosmopolitan European city.
Saturday brought lots of live music and various acts from local bands to the likes of JLS, Peter Andre, The Saturdays, Pixie Lott, Stavros Flatly, Bass hunter etc etc topped off with a fab firework display.
Also the launch of a great CD of local bands...and it's pretty good too !!
And then Sunday more music and festivities  a display from the red arrows and the clippers set of the their 10 month journey around the world.
A very tiring weekend but well worth it ...I must say I feel really proud of our City, what a great thing to pull off.

2 comments:

  1. totally agree...what a cool city to put together an event like this! sounds like a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freedom was awesome! I saw the Carobosse sculptures and 'Florance and the Machine'. Rock on Hull!!!!

    ReplyDelete